Re: [OPE] Spectres of the future: "Science" magazine wrestles with the core concepts of competition and cooperation

From: Patrick Bond <pbond@mail.ngo.za>
Date: Sun Sep 13 2009 - 17:33:09 EDT

Jurriaan, are these 'scientists' really 'wrestling' properly with these
ideas? Have they unpacked global power relations, ideologies, material
interests, corporate maneuvres, fake global strategies like Copenhagen
Conference of Parties to the Kyoto Protocol, crisis tendencies, and the
lessons of myriad globo-gov failures over the past decade?

I don't have a sub to Science, but knowing a few of these names, I'm not
sure that any of the topics above would logically arise. So if they are
calling for more globo-gov without looking into these prior problems,
they'll go nowhere. All the multilateral blahblah we've heard since the
Montreal ozone treaty in 1996 (the last globo-gov agreeent worth
anything) has really resulted in... nothing... My case is made in a
book, Talk Left, Walk Right, here:
http://www.ukzn.ac.za/ccs/files/BondTalkLeftWalkRight2ndedn.pdf

Cheers,
Patrick