RE: [OPE] Mistaking Mathematical Beauty for Economic Truth

From: Damsma, D.F. <D.F.Damsma@uva.nl>
Date: Mon Sep 14 2009 - 10:05:38 EDT

'Then, the question, becomes: can these complex, dialectical relationships be satisfactorily expressed mathematically since math (and computer
algorithms) are forms of formal logic?'

Some (e.g. Kosok, Priest and Lachterman) have indeed claimed that Hegel's dialectical logic could be formalized (i.e. a first step towards mathematization can be made at least). Hegel himself seems to contend that dialectical logic encompasses formal logic but surpasses it in both depth and width of analysis. I myself think that neither position is warranted. The two forms of reasoning are reconcilable, but diminishing the one to the other, prevents one from using the full potential of either.

'Can irrationality be satisfactorily understood through mathematical means? And can the relationship between rationality and irrationality as it relates to capitalism be expressed mathematically?'

Agent Based Computational Economics is a promising candidate for this job. Making the most of bounded rationality at the level of agents, these models easily spin into seemingly 'irrational' panics at the level of markets or societies.

Kind regards,

Dirk.