Re: [OPE] No rise is s/v? Kliman's pseudo-empirical work on the falling rate of profit

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 23 2009 - 12:37:31 EDT

Unproductive labor is also important for s/v considered separately,
which is how I posed the question initially. Discussion seems to have
moved over to the rate of profit.

Actually, I am less interested in the rate of profit than in s/v,
accumulation, and overproduction. And Kliman himself says in his draft
(the second), "I have also made no attempt to construct 'the Marxian'
rate of profit", arguing that there are many applications of differing
measures of profits by Marx. This seems to say that it is not being
offered as a well-defined concept, by anyone including Marx. And, if
not well-defined, then any 'law' of a falling tendency seems also less
than well-defined.

Jurriaan, for my own edification, could you elaborate somewhat upon your
comment: "Just simple arithmetic and a comparison of different data
sources can show there is more profit in the system than the BEA measure
suggests"? It's important for getting a good handle on s. One trick
that is sometimes used here in the States, is defining a corporation as
"non-profit" and yet huge sums flow to others than workers.

Paul Z.