[OPE] The waste in US health care

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 16:27:26 EDT

Reuters does a punchy article which claims that the US healthcare system
wastes up to $800 bln a year:

http://www.reuters.com/article/PBLSHG/idUSN2516799520091026

If you take this together with the McKinsey finding that Americans pay 1/3
too much for health care compared to the same services provided in other
comparable OECD countries, it looks to me as though things are being tackled
at the wrong end. The wonders of private enterprise lead to the result, that
the cost of the most basic concern that most people have rises out of the
pan. It becomes rather bizarre surely, if health is something you can no
longer afford.

Does the law of value really operate in the US health system? I suppose that
in a macabre way, it does, although mediated by monopolists.

J.