RE: [OPE] intermission

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Thu Nov 05 2009 - 10:56:54 EST

What you say is obviously true, the distinction I was trying to make was the marginal labour required to produce a new item of knowledge - say to write a book, as opposed to the mass production of knowledge or information by a commercial company: drug company for example. In writing a book the author uses prior results of labour, but this is also true of any labour process. The difference is that the prior results of labour are not 'used up' in the production of knowledge.

There is a definite additional increment of labour required to write a book, or design a new microchip, I don’t see where the problem is here.