Re: [OPE] sources on ussr

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Mon Nov 09 2009 - 03:23:55 EST

The USSR economic management swigged back and forth. NEP’s liberalization, then centralization in the 1930s, and after the World War II a mild tendency to liberalization with Liberman’s reforms. So, maybe you should pay more attention to the 1930s. There are some debates in Soviet Studies about famine cause during these years. I remember the stories of my grandmother about her experience of these hard times in the south of Russia, in Kropotkin.   A. Agafonow ________________________________ De: wpc <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk> Para: Outline on Political Economy mailing list <ope@lists.csuchico.edu> Enviado: mié,4 noviembre, 2009 10:39 Asunto: Re: [OPE] sources on ussr Thanks I will try to get hold of some of these, I know Nove and Carr. I was getting help from a Russian guy I met on a left forum to get data on life expectancy changes from the 20s through the 30s and the figures he gave me seemed to show only a slight rise during the 30s, with a much more marked improvement during the 1950s. The point I am trying to argue is that the Miseans who say that rational planning is impossible would predict a slow down in growth when planning came in and a speedup when it was removed in the 90s. My impression is that the opposite occured. There is no doubt about a catastrophic shrinkage of output after 1990 and a huge rise in deaths. What is harder to obtain is the comparable transition from the 20s to the 30s when figures seem very much in dispute _______________________________________________ ope mailing list ope@lists.csuchico.edu https://lists.csuchico.edu/mailman/listinfo/ope