Re: [OPE] intermission: value of knowledge

From: Michael Perelman <michael@ecst.csuchico.edu>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2009 - 16:20:22 EST

Paul brings up a good point. A lot of old NASA data is on unreadable
tapes. I began storing my computer data with a $20 Radio Shack cassette
player. A friend helped me to move it to a CPM computer around 1980.

Massive outsourcing of information technology with the buildup to Y2K.
Because programmers in the US never kept learning obsolete computer
languages, they were unprepared for the job, which was largely outsourced
to India.

People who write about the creation of information often distinguish
between codified information, which is readily available to anyone, and
tact knowledge. Paul's comment suggests that this distinction is fuzzier
than that simple dichotomy.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department