Re: [OPE] Marta Harnecker's Ideas

From: howard engelskirchen <he31@verizon.net>
Date: Mon Dec 07 2009 - 18:56:41 EST

Hi Anders,

I'll comment on two things in your interesting post. First, I don't think
factions are a good idea in any form of democratic life. People ought to
put their ideas out on the table openly and struggle openly for them to
prevail. Gathering with others more or less behind the scenes pretty much
assures division and always undermines the coherence of collective life.
This is true not only of party organizations, but, e.g., of email lists like
OPE or other -- a culture where people are open about their struggles is
always better. It is even true I think in informal social circumstances.
There we call factions cliques and cliques undermine broader circles of
friendship.

My second point goes to the non-correspondence between representation and
the represented. Here I want to look back at some notes I have to find, so
this will take a minute or two. But in the meantime perhaps you could tell
me who you have in mind that has discussed this issue before. I'm not
familiar with it having been raised in any of the sort of classic go to
works in the marxist tradition. You describe it as old hat, so you must
have previous theoretical discussion in mind. I'd very much appreciate
being pointed to these.

howard