RE: SV: [OPE] Sraffa's and others' writing style

From: Gary Mongiovi <MONGIOVG@stjohns.edu>
Date: Tue Dec 08 2009 - 13:24:35 EST

Ian, I don't think your remark is pedantic. Yes, of course, he, Sraffa, decided in the end not to broach a topic which he may not have sorted out to his own satisfaction. And like all of us he was limited by his background & training. But I doubt the sticking point was his own technical limitations. He could have learned the tools that were available at the time to analyze dynamic problems--just as he learned the mathematics he needed to address the value theoretic problems he discusses in the book. He had colleagues at his disposal at Cambridge--not just the mathematicians Besicovich, Ramsey and Watson, but physicists as well--who could have assisted with questions about stability etc.

Were I a betting man, however, I'd wager the reason he didn't pursue work in that direction was that he didn't think it would bear fruit. I used the term Wittgensteinian deliberately, to suggest that he may have regarded dynamic problems as fundamentally messy, as contingent on human behavior & accidental circumstances in a way that the narrower issues discussed in PoC are not: we would need to use the tools of the historian, the political scientist, the anthropologist, the psychologist and the sociologist to address those dynamic issues adequately.

I am agnostic on whether formal dynamic models can tell us a great deal about real-world economic & social processes. No doubt they can tell us some genuinely useful things. No doubt they cannot tells us as much as we would like them to tell us. I only want to suggest--and I repeat that this is highly speculative--that Sraffa may have had been skeptical that much could be got from such models.

That said, he appears to have had in mind a subsequent work to PoC, that would take up accumulation.

Gary