RE: [OPE] Anti-imperialism and nationalism

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Dec 10 2009 - 21:52:22 EST

> Nationalism is a form of particularism,

Hi Dave Z:

So is working class unity. It's certainly more
particular than unity of "the people". Sometimes the demand for
unity itself can be reactionary. "Particularism"
is not the problem, Working class unity is a desirable
objective - ordinarily - but it must be asked over what and
for what or whom.

> Contrary to Jerry's implication I would argue that defending the
> 'right> of self-determination' --- meaning in effect the right of
> political *partition* ---

Well, that's a very specific meaning for the right of self-determination. In another post I argued that the right of
self-determination has meaning outside of the context of
nationalism.

( I would also argue that all kinds of atrocities
within the working class have been rationalized through claiming
that others were practicing particularism. I think that Maoists
are prone to using this rationalization.)