Re: [OPE] intermission: value of knowledge

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Mon Dec 21 2009 - 15:16:27 EST

Paula wrote:

> But even this extra condition is still insufficient, because not all
> material things produced are commodities. We need at least one further
> condition - the things have to be produced for market exchange, ie,
> they have to be commodities. While Marx does not expressly mention
> this condition in the above paragraph, it is implied, since the
> discussion assumes the coat is a commodity.

It does not follow that this is the necessary further condition. The
question is under what conditions will labour be abstracted as a real
process? The necessary condition then is that labour is compared. Market
exchange is just one process in which labour is compared and treated in
the abstract.

But here I find myself repeating the argument I made in March 2009, in
the thread 'value-form theory redux':

    http://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/~cottrell/OPE/archive/0903/0137.html

//Dave Z