RE: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Jan 14 2010 - 09:00:17 EST

> The point I am making is that the division of the world that Lenin was
> talking about was into territorial empires of the great powers,
> both WWI and WWII were wars to achieve such empires. Britain, France,
> Portugal, Holand, Russia, Turkey, USA had such empires, and
> Germany Italy and Japan were seeking to achieve them. This was the kind of
>imperialism that killed tens of millions of people in two great wars.

Hi Paul:

The specific type - form - of imperialism can change. For instance, Neo-Liberal policies favored by the major imperialist powers in recent decades is somewhat different that the policies favored by them in the preceding period. This does not stop them from being imperialist any more than a change in the the specific location of individual spots on a zebra changes that animal into another species.

> The empires once established and ruled were protected by customs barriers,

contingent to, not necessary condition, for imperialism.

> were subjected to heavy taxation,

ditto.

> and were exclusive areas for investment
> and emigration by the invading power.

ditto.

> The 5 victorious powers do have vetos in the UN, but this was not by
> virtue of them being imperialist powers but because they were the
> opponents of Germany and Japan who had the largest forces in the field.
> If you are saying that this was the criterion for imperialism -- having
> a big army,

I didn't say or imply that - or the rest.

In solidarity, Jerry