RE: [OPE] Britain--parasitic and decaying capitalism: A comment

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Fri Jan 15 2010 - 13:43:37 EST

> Population, national income, military power.
>
> There is no other state is in a position to dominate it.

Hi Paul:

This certainly can affect the tactics and strategy of how imperialist
countries affect non-imperialist nations but it doesn't mean that
the latter can't be neo-colonies. Obviously, we are using these
expressions differently.

To take an example from the 1980s: when Brazil raised the possibility of
defaulting on its foreign debt, the imperialist nations -including
the US - didn't respond in the same was as the US did in Grenada when there
was a government they wanted to get rid of. The reason had to do with
the factors (excepting national income) you mentioned: they knew they could invade Grenada (especially under the circumstances which existed there at that time) whereas invading a country like Brazil is entirely a different proposition! But, they had other more indirect ways of getting what they wanted. Even under colonialism, different colonial nations had different tactics and strategies which varied depending on which colonial nation you are talking about and what colonized people you are referring to.