Re: [OPE] Sex, Lies, and Economics: The Amazing Story of Economics and Economists Before Adam Smith

From: Gerald Levy <jerry_levy@verizon.net>
Date: Wed Feb 17 2010 - 21:20:28 EST

> Like the classics for whom they provided an analytical basis, and unlike
> the later marginalists, these pioneers
> sought to understand the world around them, rather than to fit it into a
> preconceived conceptual framework.

Hi Roy:

I don't know about that: I think that political economists prior to Smith
also had preconceived
conceptual frameworks - in their case, based on their world outlook,
philosophy, and theology.
These were also informed by their class membership and identity -note how
their conceptual
framework generally dovetailed rather nicely with class interests.