RE: [OPE] Sex, Lies, and Economics: The Amazing Story of Economics and Economists Before Adam Smith

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu Feb 18 2010 - 08:43:17 EST

> Roy's reading correct. They did not have theoretical preconditions,
> although their writings were intended to defend themselves from
> retributions for their often illegal activities.

Hi Michael P:

You don't think that their theological and philosophical perspectives
informed - to a great extent - their theoretical perspectives on
political economy? I find that very hard to believe. Surely, they
were attempting to comprehend new realities - and were unencumbered by
previous conceptions on the economy - but they brought their understanding
of the world to bear for comprehending those new realities. A fruitful
line of research, imo, would be an inquiry into how Church doctrines
informed and impeded their grasp of the economy.