Re: [OPE] Milios + Sotiropoulos online!

From: John Milios <john.milios@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Apr 24 2010 - 13:22:39 EDT

Dear Dave,

thank you for the good words about our book! I agree with you that a
Marxian theory of imperialism presupposes a theory of the capitalist
state (and the capitalist social formation). In fact, that is exactly
what we endeavored to do in our research. We think that Marx’s
argumentation in CAPITAL (in particular his analysis regarding the
concept of Social Capital - “Gesamptkapital”) hints at a reasoning
that is close to Nicos Poulantzas’ (and Althusser's) conception of the
capitalist state. Hence, in our work we drew heavily upon these
analyses, without though going into the relevant debates regarding
state theory. Of course, we are familiar with the influential works of
Miliband and of Fred Block.

In solidarity,

John

--