Re: [OPE] Class Analysis of the Greek Bailout

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Thu May 13 2010 - 11:05:11 EDT

> And looking back: what should we make of the idea -- the constant drumbeat of the bourgeois press --
> that Greece as a whole country, including its workers, was "living beyond their means"?

Hi Paul A:

Well, hasn't that been the message which the IMF, the World Bank, and the WTO
have been making to sovereign nations as a rationalization for forcing them
into imposing austerity measures on their own people as a condition for additional
lending or debt restructuring, etc.? The fact that this is happening to a
major European nation is somewhat unusual, but this has been the consistent
message of Neo-Liberalism to less developed capitalist nations for several
decades.