Re: [OPE] Two brief excerpts on the financial crisis

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Sat May 29 2010 - 07:27:40 EDT

Dave,

Thanks for your comment. I agree that it is a mistake to regard capital
finance as an epiphenomenon. The trouble though with Hilferding's analysis
is that he does little more than to rewrite, elaborate and systematize
chapters of Capital Vol. 3. The people around Lapavitsas and Toporowski have
done work on rentier capitalism but it is often not really clear what the
purpose of the analysis is. Most left analysis which consider finance
seriously propose some variant of post-Keynesianism. I think myself that is
because their foundational concepts are often in error.

There are several scientific problems in my opinion:

1) the organization and nature of production and exchange in our time has
changed to such an extent, that the categorization schemes used in economic
theory and statistics, which were mainly devised in the middle of the 20th
century, are not longer adequate. This creates the interesting situation,
that even most public servants and academics relying on official statistics
are not even very aware of the real nature of private sector operations.
2) There is almost no profound analysis of the social and economic relations
of services economy.
3) Marx - whose theory was very much unfinished - never provided an analysis
of the labour market which is absolutely central to capitalist economies.
4) Analyses of capital accumulation and economic reproduction have largely
ignored, that the results of these processes create a larger and larger
stock of physical durables and financial assets not invested in production,
being neither an input nor an output of production.
5) Marx's story about the capitalist mode of production is typically
conflated by Marxists with capitalism generally, or with capitalist society.
This mistake creates an enormous handicap for social scientific analysis. On
average, total tax revenue in the EU equals about 40% of the EU's combined
GDP (nearly 5 trillion euros), and therefore, if we want to talk seriously
about the allocation of resources, an analysis of public finance is
absolutely essential. Yet there is almost no substantive analysis of it. How
can you form an adequate understanding of state politics, without
understanding the finance that it behind it? I don't think you can.

I think therefore what is needed is a critique of political economy.

Regards,

Jurriaan