[OPE] Gapminder

From: Alejandro Agafonow <alejandro_agafonow@yahoo.es>
Date: Thu Jun 03 2010 - 07:13:42 EDT

  Have you heard about Gapminder? A Spanish science TV programme released a chapter about this statistical tool and its creator, the Swedish Hans Rosling. You can watch the 30 minutes TV programme below. Although the interview was conducted in English it was dubbed to Spanish.   http://www.rtve.es/mediateca/videos/20100530/redes-30-05-10-desmontando-mitos-sobre-mundo/786197.shtml   Gapminder is an exceptional effort to democratise statistics as it is used by Social Sciences. The software is fed with world databases, from international institutions, and one can choose any correlation between two variables over a time line that shows their evolution. One can also download the program and feed it with our own data. It is also an exceptional teaching tool. I will start using it in my classes.   The most important thing, in addition to its pedagogy, is that it saves a lot of time collecting and processing data and you can devote more effort to what is really important and difficult, that is, to discover the causal mechanisms that drive our world –something that economists have largely forgotten.   Gapminder’s web is this: http://www.gapminder.org/   If you can understand Spanish or if you are able to grasp the English behind the broadcaster, I encourage watching the programme as it gives a very good idea of the potentiality of Gapminder.   Regards, A. Agafonow