Re: [OPE] topics for summer discussion: theories of the crisis

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Thu Jul 22 2010 - 09:19:05 EDT

Hi Dave,

Fair enough, but if e.g. there are five tractors of which one is red in
colour, and four are blue, then focusing on the red tractor on the ground
that this is "materialist" seems rather blinkered Althusserianism, since the
other four tractors are also materially there. I tried once to make a very
approximate calculation of asset values in the US, and concluded that means
of production were only about a quarter of total physical assets, and only
perhaps 10% or so of total capital assets, physical and financial. Hence my
emphasis on the need to analyse the services economy and the modalities of
labour-power.

The problem with identifying the "value rate" is, that it is inferred with
theoretical assumptions from data about the "monetary rate", which itself
constructed according to numerous assumptions. I think this creates
scientific problems, since the concluded variability then derives from
inferring constants and variables from each other. A similar problem arises
with regard to the Ochoa method for deriving labour-values from input-output
data, as I mentioned before on OPE-L. Statisticians often aim to extrapolate
a trend using the known movements in related observable variables, but it is
another thing to infer a new variable from known variables, according to a
theory, and then argue that this new variable can predict the trend in the
variables from which it is inferred. That seems to me a rather dubious
procedure.

Regards

Jurriaan