Re: [OPE] "lies, damned lies, and underconsumptionist statistics"

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Mon Sep 27 2010 - 20:36:09 EDT

> Traditionally, Marxists have argued that service sectors such as banking,
> insurance, real estate, do not produce value (though of course they have a
> physical existence). Why do we get so confused when it comes to other
> service sectors?

Hi Paula:

The 'traditional' argument is that the service sectors you refer to
do not produce value but are rather concerned with the *(re-) distribution
of surplus value*. i.e. which groups have a legal claim on surplus value.
Many 'non-traditional' arguments get 'confused' when one conflates all
service sectors regardless of their social form and their differing
relation to value and surplus value.