[OPE] World Bank president Robert B. Zoellick and the flow of knowledge

From: Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@telfort.nl>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2010 - 04:51:35 EDT

Michael,

I am not really sure about that, Paul Wolfowitz did not seem to have an
epiphany in his WBP role, just a fanny. Dr Zoellick has a solid
German-Lutheran background, he's originally from Naperville, Illinois. I
don't think this is conducive to epiphany - more to the divine grace of "wir
haben es nicht gewusst".

I am intrigued though with this whole new poetry about "flow" filtering into
financial discourse. I think it has a lot of potential, I mean there are
just so many things that can flow and trickle around - think of all the
different ways in which the word "flow" can be used, for example, in
ecosystems. Flow is a concept used in every science and academic discipline.
Come to think of it, it is a universal concept, a concept that could contain
practically every other concept. At least if you go with the flow. The
economics of the future could be envisaged as an attempt to understand that
flow.

You might say this is just New Age nonsense, but that isn't being positive.

Charles Taylor comments in his book "Hegel" that: "The image to represent
Hegel's system is not a single flow, but rather a river system; starting at
the source he travels to the first tributary, then instead of continuing on
the main stream he insists on exploring this arm from its headwaters, and so
on down; until he can show that all the waters of the vast system flow into
the estuary of the absolute spirit". (Hegel, Cambridge University Press,
1975, p. 140).

We could be into something really deep and meaningful here.

Jurriaan

PS - I am still attempting to track down your term