Re: [OPE] Reply to Jerry on commodity

From: paul bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>
Date: Wed Oct 06 2010 - 03:57:44 EDT

Jurriaan,

You say... for no reason at all that I can see.....

"In discussion with Yaffe/Bullock, who denied a distinct realization
problem,
I have emphasized previously that, at least for Marx, the processes of
valorization and realization are distinctive processes, as Marx clarifies in

various unpublished and published manuscripts".

Perhaps you can show where we have given such an impression. I said the
other day - Sun 03/10/2010 20:36

" Jurriaan,

A commodity is not a commodity if it is not sold, and the value in it is not
realised as money. The whole business has to been viewed as a total process,
although in the analysis (which is not the concrete reality) one may and
must assess the parts. Without exchange there can be no value, and without
exploitation there can be no surplus value. If you think that there can be
value without exchange then of course we will soon be hearing that value
exists in communist societies where the market has been done away with."

This would seem to state as clearly as anyone can that 'realisation' is
fundamental. It is absolutely consistent with your quote from Marx: (Capital
Volume 3, chapter 15, section 1, General
considerations, p. 352).

PBl.