Re: [OPE] Reply to critics

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Oct 18 2010 - 03:26:15 EDT

Gerry I think that if you look at Marxs repproduction schemes you will see that the particular mobility of money capital that you suggest really is impossible. There is just no way that the profits arising in department III can be converted into capital. For this to occur they would have to transform into c or v, but as the reproduction scheme shows, there is simply no remaining surplus
product in depts I and II available.
S1 + s2 have already exchanged against c3 + v3, so there is no investible surplus product remaining.
It would would require a miracle of transubstantiation to turn the surplus physical output of dept 3: Rollers, Gucci handbags, little black numberrs from Harvey Nichols, and fine fowling pieces into the elements of constant capital, or into the wage fund.
You are falling prey, in the inverse manner, to the illusion that Marx ridiculed when criticising the abstinance theory of profit.