Re: [OPE] Reply to critics

From: Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com>
Date: Fri Oct 22 2010 - 19:29:44 EDT

Paul C. wrote:

"The whole of the newly added value in dept 3 has to exchange against capitalist revenue and thus the workers in dept III are collectively in the same position as menial servants working in the houses of the capitalist class - their labour is all being exchanged against revenue."

No, the labor is exchanged against capital - these workers are employees of capitalist firms, not servants. It's the goods they produce that are exchanged against revenue, not their labor. By Paul's logic we'd have to say that all wage-goods are exchanged against wages, therefore there's no accumulation possible in this sector either. Clearly this is absurd. Once goods are sold to the final user, they cease to be values, they are only use-values, and it matters not (for our purposes) who the consumer is. The value has changed form, through exchange, from commodity to money.

Paula