[OPE] FWD: Open letters on the BN archive

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Sat Nov 13 2010 - 12:21:18 EST

Reply from Nitzan

--- original message ---
From: "Jonathan Nitzan" <nitzan@yorku.ca>
Subject: Re: Open letters on the BN archive
Date: 13th November 2010
Time: 4:42:26 pm

Dear Paul Cockshott:

Thank you for your Open Letter. Unfortunately, your intervention doesn't
address the problem; it merely reproduces it.

Shimshon Bichler and I wrote a book in 2009, titled Capital as Power
(http://bnarchives.yorku.ca/259/). The book articulates a broad critique
of conventional and Marxist political economy. It contains three
chapters that deal directly with Marx's labour theory of value,
including, among other things, 20th century attempts to empirically test
that theory (such as your own research and the research of others you
mention). The book also lays out the beginning of an alternative
approach to political economy.

This is the background for Stefanos' Open Letter. As I read it, the
letter is a general call to Marxists: engage with new critical theories
and evidence, or be left with a dogma.

It seems to me that your reply does exactly what Stefanos warns against.
Judging by your text, I assume you haven’t read our book. But this
doesn’t prevent you from reiterating your position, regardless of the
argument we level against it.

If and when you do read our book, we will gladly consider your critique.

With best of wishes,
Jonathan

--
Jonathan Nitzan
Political Science | Social and Political Thought
Email: nitzan at yorku.ca
Website: http://bnarchives.net