Re: [OPE] Just published: THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION O F CRISIS (RPE, Vol. 26)

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Mon Nov 29 2010 - 13:04:28 EST

I think you have to understand this in terms of the characteristic forms of behaviour of capitalists versus earlier exploiting classes. What was new about capitalists was the drive to unlimited accumulation. Marx showed that this led to a contradiction in the falling rate of profit. If on the other hand the upper class become less capitalistic, and more like the old wasteful aristocracy, then the specifically capitalist contradiction that led to the falling rate of profit is removed. They loose their residual economically progressive role by ceasing to be capitalists, but unproductive and wasteful ruling classes have been not uncommon in the past.