Re: [OPE] Just published: THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION O F CRISIS (RPE, Vol. 26)

From: Paul Cockshott <wpc@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed Dec 01 2010 - 18:04:39 EST

Paul you must remember that the equation I posted is just one equation it is not a full model. It takes as inputs four parameters u, t, g and d and delivers a single result : the attractor for the rate of profit.
A full model would have to include other equations governing the input variables to the profit rate attractor.
The questions you have asked relate to the determination of u. I do not have any equation for this,

I think though, that it is not helpful tothink of u being determined by concius choice between consumption and accumulation. Investment decisions are made by industrial firms whereas unproductive consumption arises from a whole complex of processes partly by firms, partly by individual rentiers and partly as a result of taxation etc.

Note that in my worked example the entire run down of the capital stock was due to moral depreciation or cheapening of the elements of constant capital. It need entail no physical run down of productive capacity.