Re: [OPE] CAPITAL AS POWER: free PDF download

From: Paul Cockshott <William.Cockshott@glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Sun Dec 19 2010 - 08:24:13 EST

There seems to be a certain irony here. The assertion that capital is power has a respectable classical pedigree, Smith asserted that monetary wealth was power, specifically the power to command the labour of others. If they were to give a measurable correlate to power they would do well to follow Smith. But in doing so they would have to abandon their opposition to the labour theory of value, since in Smith's case the power is a power over labour and there is a direct correlation between amount of money and amount of labour commanded. This correlation, Bichler and Nitzan deny, thus depriving their theory of the realistic foundation that Adam Smith had.