Re: [OPE] More on current account deficits

From: Patrick Bond <pbond@mail.ngo.za>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2010 - 14:24:23 EST

Thanks Jurriaan,

This is terribly important for South Africa where the current account
deficit is caused by something not mentioned here: the extreme shift in
profit/dividend repatriation. It used to be, before 2000, that SA
capital (Anglo American, DeBeers, Old Mutual, SABrewering,
Gencor/Billiton, Didata, Liberty Life, Mondli, etc etc) was 'patriotic'
insofar as profits were largely retained by owners living in Joburg and
Cape Town (and a bit in my hometown, Durban). With the dramatic capital
flight since then, and the outflow of profits/dividends/interest piling
up, it was only the big crash of 2009 (Anglo even had to pass on paying
a dividend) that prevented the current account deficit/GDP level from
exploding up to 10%. In early 2009 The Economist rated SA the world's
riskiest emerging market as a result of this structural problem.

The National Union of Metalworkers of SA advocate the return to exchange
controls as the only solution short of nationalisation of the SA assets
of these London/Melbourne corporations.

I say all this because the IMF knows the problem is severe (so the
Article IV statements hint) - but obviously would do nothing to
encourage solving it, aside from borrowing more and more and more abroad
so as to pay the corporations their profit outflow... even though SA's
foreign debt is also getting out of control.

So although the SA state has 'managed' a 7% budget deficit/GDP
pseudo-Keynesian splurge through the recent meltdown (even if 1.3
million workers lost their employment), this will only be possible to
maintain if matters improve dramatically. Without prospects of a big
trade surplus, we can anticipate SA joining the ranks of Iceland,
Greece, Ireland and others, unable to make payments when the portfolio
finance inflows dry up...

Cheers,
Patrick
http://ccs.ukzn.ac.za