Re: [OPE] classical macrodynamics and the labor theory of value

From: D. Göçmen <dogangoecmen@aol.com>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 13:27:51 EST

This is what A. Smith has to say about natural and market prices:

"When the price of any commodity is neither more nor less than what is
sufficient to pay the rent of the land, the wages of the labour, and the
profits of the stock employed in raising, preparing, and bringing it to market,
according to their natural rates, the commodity is then sold for what
may be called its natural price.
The commodity is then sold precisely for what it is worth, or for what it
really costs the person who brings it to market..."

"The actual price at which any commodity is commonly sold is called
its market price. It may either be above, or below, or exactly the same with
its natural price."

 Wealth of Nations, Liberty Fund, Indianapolis, pp. 72/73

It would take me too long to go into what the crucial differences between Marx and Smith are. The most important difference concerns probabily how Smith defines the rent, profit and wages as natural components of the price. This idea is justly attacked by Marx by showing where surplus-value comes from. However, though that what Smith says about market and natural prices is not the same as in Marx. But Marx uses a similar idea to explain the extra profits arising from technical advantages and so on. This seems to be also the main point of Smith.

D.Göçmen
http://dogangocmen.wordpress.com/
http://www.dogangocmen.blogspot.com/