Re: [OPE] Marx on the U.S. Civil War

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed Feb 02 2011 - 19:18:28 EST

Jerry,

1. The progressive impact of capitalism is the production of relative
surplus value but it has the concomitant requirement of having workers
denuded of means of production.

2. The slave form of production pays only incidental, sporatic attention
to changing productive forces.

3. The slave form of production corresponded to low development of
productive forces in the agricultural crops produced in the Southern U.S.

4. When a technological development came out of the North to promote
mechanical separation seeds out of cotton fiber (Eli Whitney in 1793)
there was no concomitant attention to agrarian technological problems in
the South,

5. leading to depletion of the soil in the South under the expanding yet
renewed slave relations of intensive cultivation.

6. Slave masters could reproduce their class interests if they moved
production to new fertile land, the basis for Marx's argument that slave
masters had to expand to the West and Northwest ... or else die out. It
was not a 'choice' (much like 'imperialism' is not a 'choice' for
capitalism).

You seem to be claiming** that slave masters could have converted
themselves to a bourgeoisie? Or did I miss something? If not, I
believe you are mixing-up the capitalist/wage-labor relation with the
master/slave relation and avoiding talking about the distinctive
character of these class relations. (Recall that Jefferson Davis was a
highly 'cultivated' man, certainly compared to Lincoln, and was a real
representative of his class interests that detested the dirty, menial
production process.)

Frankly, I don't see how one can be a careful marxist while being
dismissive of Marx's writings on the U.S. Civil War. Or, did I miss
something?

In my judgment, Marx could predict the outcome in a manner Engels could
not. With my apologies to Engels, his focus on military questions was
rather superficial. The bourgeoisie may hesitate all over the place and
lose battles in the process, but their class interest determined that
they would 'get their act together'. The Emancipation Proclamation gets
issued on Sept. 22, 1962 ... and officers like McClellan, incompetent
head of the main Northern army, get dismissed after the November
elections (an apparent but not real victory for Democratics). By 1863
the Republican Party is abolitionist (i.e., it has gotten its act together).

Paul Z.

** "there is nothing in it that would lead
one to conclude that the Confederate States of America could not have - and
came close to - existed as a sovereign nation. I.e. even if what he
says is true, that might spell over time the death knell for slavery in
the CSA but it wouldn't necessarily mean that the CSA would no longer exist."

=====
(V23) HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11, Seven Stories Press, 2nd ed. softcover
(V24) TRANSITIONS IN LATIN AMERICA (V25) WHY CAPITALISM SURVIVES CRISES
(V26) THE NATIONAL QUESTION AND THE QUESTION OF CRISIS
====> Research in Political Economy, Emerald Group, Bingley, UK

====> P.Zarembka, ed., www.emeraldinsight.com/books.htm?issn=-7230

====> or www.buffalo.edu/~zarembka
.