Re: [OPE] classical macrodynamics and the labor theory of value

From: D. Göçmen <dogangoecmen@aol.com>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2011 - 06:33:36 EST

Jurriaan,
Smith's theory of value is an complicated issue. He employs indeed different criteria, sometimes just V+S and sometimes C+V+S. This led Ricardo to criticise Smith for being not consistent. My point was not Smith's theory of value in general. Rather, I was trying to give an input to show that Smith is aware of the fact that there is a difference between value and price. After having established or rather claimed that labour is the universal measure of value he tries to account for the fact the prices vary. His conceptions of market price and natural price are supposed to explain this. Whether Smith is consistent or in what degree consistent is another matter. He seems however to have initiated an investigation which culminates in Marx. Any further claim was not in my intention and would bring me far away from my current research.

 Cheers,

Doğan Göçmen
http://dogangocmen.wordpress.com/
http://www.dogangocmen.blogspot.com/