Re: [OPE] Marx on the U.S. Civil War

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Sat Feb 05 2011 - 08:47:32 EST

Hi Paul C;

I agree that thinking of the possible outcomes of ongoing social-historical
struggles in terms of probability theory is a better approach. This approach
is also beneficial strategically: i.e. it allows participants in a social
struggle to identify different outcomes, their probabilities, the constraints,
and the major variables which can alter the outcomes. IMO, it is a method
of analysis which is also more consistent with the materialist conception of history:
believing that there is absolutely only 1 outcome to a historical struggle is
quasi-idealist, i.e. an overly simple application of materialism can also
be akin to idealism because it also asserts 'absolutes'.

In solidarity, Jerry