[OPE] Grover Cleveland, Obama's Percursor?

From: michael perelman <michael.perelman3@gmail.com>
Date: Sat Feb 05 2011 - 23:49:45 EST

I have been thinking about presidential comparisons with Obama. The
closest I could imagine was Grover Cleveland's second administration.

Cleveland was the leader of the pro-business Bourbon Democrats who
opposed high tariffs, free silver, inflation, imperialism and subsidies
to business, farmers or veterans. His battles for political reform and
fiscal conservatism made him an icon for American conservatives.
Cleveland was tight with the bankers and the railroad. Maybe he was not
so much in love with them as Obama, but it is still pretty disgusting.

Here are my notes from Matthew Josephson's The Politicos:

read more at:

http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/grover-cleveland-obamas-percursor/

--
Michael Perelman