Re: [OPE] Models and Marx

From: howard engelskirchen <he31@verizon.net>
Date: Sun Feb 13 2011 - 13:40:21 EST

Hello Jerry,

Yes, your point is important -- marx takes great care to identify the
"differentia specifica" that differentiate capital from other modes of
production, and the effort to give a real definition of capital as a social
kind must establish those features that do so. You can often specify
elements that will apply generally to several modes of production, and Marx
does so, but then the force of your analysis is correspondingly limited.
For example, in both the section on labor rent in book III [47.2] and in the
chapter on Absolute and Relative Surplus Value, chapter 16 in book I, and no
doubt elsewhere, Marx makes the point that you may have the possibility of a
surplus product -- natural productivity, available free time, etc -- but it
is "rather compulsion which turns this possibility into reality." So we
take from this the basis of a theory that force is necessary to reproduce an
antagonistic relation of production, but we don't know how this plays itself
out in any specific mode of production or the specific modes of exploitaiton
that correspond to it.

If we take seriously the idea that it is the business of science to discover
the causal structure of the world, then the task of refining a theory so
that we neither overshoot or undershoot, is just a process of "regularly and
ambitiously insert[ing] ourselves into the causal nexus" (Railton) and
incorporating the feedback we get from the causal mechanism we've
targeted -- or not. There's no guarantee, but if we meet success, some of
it novel, then we've grounds to hope we're on the right track.

howard