Re: [OPE] Brief Thoughts on the Egyptian Revolution

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Mon Feb 14 2011 - 13:38:09 EST

Hi Chai-On,

I would take issue with your characterization of 'Islam', which is a
major world religion and not a political force. 'Political Islam',
however, is something more specific; it is a term aggregating all
political movements which its program from a particular religious ideology.

But this term comprises different political forces, with quite different
programs:

   1. Sects using spectacular actions, e.g. Al-Queda.
   2. Mass social-movement of 'dual power', e.g. Hamas or Hizbollah.
   3. Mass parliamentary force, e.g. AKP.

//Dave Z