Re: [OPE] Further evidence RE: Marx, slavery and the South

From: paul bullock <paulbullock@ebms-ltd.co.uk>
Date: Fri Feb 18 2011 - 13:00:17 EST

PZ,

Sorry about the broken sentence. You don't respond to the point about wage
slavery as an inevitable replacement for absolute slavery.

The idea of a revision of 'historical materialism' seems strange to me, Marx
UNDOUBTEDLY responded to changes in real life. Thus his views of the role of
Ireland in the British class struggle changed with circumstances and he drew
quite different conclusions on this as the years went by. So What? The
point is: was he characterising the particular period he was examining
correctly?

If a slave costs say $50,000 in modern terms ( at the $2000 1860 price) then
whether or not it then cost $19 a year thereafter misses the point. One
cannot allow the property to die or be injured in any way for a couple of
years, whereas you can sack a 'free' worker on the spot.

This seems to me the ever present view of Marx. The contemporary analysis,
on this basis, can involve something further.

PB