Re: [OPE] FWD: Marx, Technology and Information

From: D. Göçmen <dogangoecmen@aol.com>
Date: Sat Mar 12 2011 - 01:23:55 EST

Paul,
it is a very complicated issue the relationship between Marx and Nietzsche. I know many titles in other languages than English. However, G. Lukacs' "Destruction of Reason" is the starting point in any language in this matter.
Domenico Losurd's "Nietzsche: Der aristokratische Rebell (Nietzsche: The Aristocratic Rebel) may be of interest: http://www.argument.de/wissenschaft/losurdo-nietzsche.html. I know that it is being translated into English but do not know whether it is already published.

Now, just one point to point out the difference between Marx and Nietzsche. Let me take the point your friend is making: Nietzsche says: The will to power. But for what, why, to do what? Therefore, as he does not point to any further perspective than to come into power it necessarily remains conservative. Marx (and indeed Hegel also) say: The will to power for emancipating humanity. In this perspective the power is instrumental for human emancipation. It is tought to be just a means to human liberty. In Nietzsche's formulation it is has two perspectives. On the one hand, it is instrumental too, bur to conserve that what already exists in actuality, that is, capitalism. On the other hand, however, it leads to glorification of power (and if necessary of violence).

The philosophical difference can be worked out by comparing Lukacs and Heidegger.

The political-theoretical difference between these two approaches can be seen and worked out by comparing Lenin and Carl Schmitt. (For German readers I compared Rosa Luxemburg and Carl Schmitt: http://dogangocmen.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/der-begriff-des-politischen-bei-rosa-luxemburg.pdf

Heidegger and Schmitt were consistent with their teaching when they supported Hitler. Lukacs was consistent when he supported Stalin.

Best wishes,
Dogan

http://www.dogangocmen.blogspot.com/