Re: [OPE] winning the battle of democracy

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Wed Mar 16 2011 - 09:58:49 EDT

On 16 March 2011 03:51, GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com> wrote:

> rather, I am simply pointing
> to some realities and complexities which get in the way of the simplistic
> narrative of 'madman' vs. those who are in favor of democracy.

I agree completely with Jerry: The discourse of 'irrational madmen/monster'
vs. 'supporters of democracy' has been entirely unproductive in this
discussion. Better apply the categories of historical materialism than of
Newsweek Magazine. In other words:

   1. What are the class compositions of the forces contesting state power
   right now?
   2. What are their political programs and ideological outlook?
   3. What constitutional changes (if any) are they aiming at?
   4. Upon seizing state power, what role do they intend to play in the
   global political economy?

Also, the way the term 'fascism' has been thrown around so far in this
thread is just not serious.

//Dave Z