Re: [OPE] winning the battle of democracy

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2011 - 07:18:17 EDT

On 18 March 2011 00:26, Paula <Paula_cerni@msn.com> wrote:

> Jerry and others want a strict definition of fascism - OK, but where is it?
> I'd say such a definition would be undialectical; but let those who want it
> make it.

To my mind, Eric Hobsbawm has given the most concise way to
conceptualize the difference of fascists from the rest of the ultra-
or far-Right: "revolutionaries of counter-revolution".

Paxton in turn has given the best working definition of fascism as a
political forceĀ (i) marked by obsessive preoccupation with community
decline, humiliation, or victimhood and (ii) by compensatory cults of
unity, energy, and purity, in which a mass-based party of committed
nationalist militants, (iii) working in uneasy but effective
collaboration with traditional elites, abandons democratic liberties
and (iv) pursues with redemptive violence, and without ethical or
legal restraints, goals of internal cleansing and external expansion.

//Dave Z