Re: [OPE] [ECST] Police raids on research club

From: Paul Cockshott <William.Cockshott@glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Tue Mar 22 2011 - 12:27:45 EDT

It is very untypical and there has certainly been a lot fishy going on in the Uni. There has been a huge uproar over several topics:
1. The proposal to cut out a whole number of subjects : anthropology, modern languages, Slavonic studies, nursing, archaeology.
2. The attempt to greatly reduce academic representation on University court, and replace them with businessmen.
3. The closing down of the postgraduate student club and any staff common rooms.

Staff at union meetings have passed no confidence motions in the principle, and 200 professors and research staff have petitioned the Scottish government for democratic reform of the structure.

In response to the closure of the research club, the students reopened it a month or so ago, and were organising seminars etc again. The University gave the students no notice of eviction, just suddenly before midday helicopter appeared overhead with huge racket and noise, about 50 police, apparently with dogs went in and dragged people out of the research club.
You accuse me of dropping a bombshell, you have no idea how surprised staff and students of the University were at this.