Re: [OPE] fascism / opposing imperialist military intervention inLibya

From: <cmgermer@ufpr.br>
Date: Fri Mar 25 2011 - 10:24:49 EDT

Hi Jerry and Paula,

As I understand it, Lenin defined imperialism as a stage in the
development of capitalism, this stage being characterized basically by the
prevalence of monopoly capital. Imperialism thus refers to a historically
new particular structural organization of capital, which seems to me to be
theoretically consistent. It also seems to me that in this sense Lenin's
definition is still valid today, except if one can characterize the
emergence of a qualitatively new structural stage in capitalism.

Lenin's view has however been mistaken, in the sense that imperialism has
been understood mostly as a political stand by the more powerful states.
In this sense one cannot say that the whole world is imperialist or that
all countries are imperialist, but at the same time saying this does not
deny that the whole world economy is imperialist.

There can be no doubt, imo, that monopoly capital, in the sense of Lenin's
definition, has become largely dominant all over the world, ie monopolies
dominate the economy of the whole world. In this sense one can say that
the whole world is today imperialist. But monopoly capital - industrial,
commercial and banking -, as well as political and military power, is not
uniformly distributed throughout the world. The polarization between rich
and poor countries - powerful and powerless - is a product of
capitalism/imperialism. Every country in its present condition is a
product of the development of capitalism/imperialism, be it Haiti, Brazil,
the US, Iemen, and so on, in the sense that it is a part of the
capitalist/imperialist economy and society. The position of each country
in the capitalist world economy is conditioned by the development of
monopoly capital.
comradely,
Claus.