Re: [OPE] theories of imperialism

From: Jurriaan Bendien <jurriaanbendien@online.nl>
Date: Mon Mar 28 2011 - 09:49:19 EDT

Jerry,

One of the first multinationals was the Dutch East India Company established
in 1602, which operated almost like a state of its own. It operated its own
ships, schools, hospitals, monetary currency, security force, military
policy etc.; it enacted treaties; and it organized the production and
distribution of commodities along a trading route spanning half the world.
But contrary to a popular myth, the Company did not invent the joint-stock
principle, which is in fact vastly older. Prior to that time, there were
already multinational trading houses of various sorts operating in places
like Amsterdam, London, Hamburg, and Genoa.

When Lenin lived, not only was much of Marx's writing not available; the
historical information about the human past was also often sketchy, and
distorted by colourful "interpretations" which could not be verified.

What you say about MNCs is quite a popular idea on the Left, in fact Robert
Went wrote it up as a thesis before accepting a position with the Dutch
Treasury. I suppose there is a grain of truth in the argument, since there
is a difference between the expansion of the world market and the expansion
of the capitalist mode of production, transforming peasants into
proletarians. However, the point is that a large share of the multinationals
which operate today in capitalist environments worldwide already existed as
multinationals in the early years of the century (although some were taken
over by others). So all we are really talking about here is a change in the
scale of corporate operations and a change in the relations of production of
the host country.

Jurriaan