Re: [OPE] fascism / opposing imperialist military

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Fri Apr 08 2011 - 13:24:51 EDT

On 2011-04-07 01:52, Jurriaan Bendien wrote:
> Imperialism is I think essentially about an unequal power relationship
> between different countries which permits one or more of them to
> dominate others. [...]
> Generally, from the bourgeois point of view, imperialism ended when
> colonies gained their independence. The dispute then is whether
> imperialism can exist without colonies. Many New Left theorists have
> argued that it can and does exist - a sort of neo-colonialism occurs
> (there are different intellectual traditions offering various arguments).

Do listmembers have access to economic data of Britain's relation to
India during the period, say, 1870-1910? I would like to verify the
following:

The established theory among anti-imperialists at the time was the
'drain theory', in which the Indian economy was running a persistent
trade surplus with Britain, thus making a loss in real terms as goods
are traded for credits. At the other end, Mike Davis reported that
Indian economy was simultaneously running a persistent current account
deficit with Britain, hence there was a net flow of goods and credits
towards the British economy whose current account surplus with India
permitted it to run persistent deficits against the rising industrial
economies at the time.

//Dave Z