Re: [OPE] fascism / opposing imperialistmilitary interventioninLibya

From: Paul Cockshott <William.Cockshott@glasgow.ac.uk>
Date: Fri Apr 15 2011 - 16:16:18 EDT

The advantage of reading good historians like Fischer is that it makes you aware of the context in which the books on Imperialism were written, and the actual events crises and deals that were going on and obviously known in part to the authors of the more famous political tracts on the subject.
It is also enlightening to read books published at the time of or just after the Great War as these give an insight into contemporary attitudes and power balances. Quite a few books of the period are now freely available for download from Guttenberg.