Re: [OPE] Class structure: China

From: Dave Zachariah <davez@kth.se>
Date: Mon May 02 2011 - 13:19:21 EDT

On 2011-05-02 01:51, Michael Webber wrote:

> finally, i want to emphasise the specificity of the term 'capitalist
> state' for present day china. i mean by this that the commanding
> heights of the economy are (i) capitalist corporations and (ii) owned
> / controlled by the state. this is a little different from what we
> might call 'the state in capitalist societies', whatever a capitalist
> society is.

If there ever was an appropriate application of the term 'state
capitalism' this would be it.

In addition to the general historical-materialist framework in the
references I suggested I think Joel Andreas has written some interesting
material on the changing class structure of China. Cf.

    Joel Andreas (2008), "Changing Colours in China", in New Left
    Review, New Left Review 54, Nov-Dec 2008.

which is a response to the late Arrighi's last book. Andreas also
appears to have written a book that I completely missed:

    Joel Andreas (2009), "Rise of the Red Engineers: The Cultural
    Revolution and the Origins of China's New Class", Stanford
    University Press.

//Dave Z