Re: [OPE] capitalism as an unnatural system

From: GERALD LEVY <gerald_a_levy@msn.com>
Date: Wed May 18 2011 - 20:00:21 EDT

> Jerry wrote:
> "I thought you were using the term ideology in the more specific Marxian
> sense of the term. http://www.marxists.org/glossary/terms/i/d.htm#ideology"
> There isn't one "specific Marxian sense of the term". As that text says, the
> term "is used with a wide variety of connotations, even among Marxists".

Hi Paula:

Indeed, but you are the first Marxist I've met who suggested that ideology
is simply "a set of ideas".

> His
> IS and the IS of others are different, in fact they are mutually opposed;
> but they are also connected, because the same system that produces his
> freedom to compete produces also the limitations to that freedom.

What system are you referring to? Capitalism? There is nothing inherent in
the capitalist mode of production or its laws of motion which bring about
"free competition".

Now one could *assume* free competition in a layered exposition of the subject
matter (capitalism). Indeed, one *must* assume free competition at a
level of abstraction of 'capital in general' because that is prior to
an analysis of the *state form* and it is precisely the role (or non-role)
of the state in the process of competition which determines whether
competition as such exists or whether free competition in particular exists
or existed.