[OPE] Response in NY Times to Jonathan Kay's "Among the Truthers"

From: Paul Zarembka <zarembka@buffalo.edu>
Date: Sat May 28 2011 - 09:11:52 EDT

The/ New York Times /Sunday Book Review for May 29 is on-line. My
shortened response to its May 15 review of Jonathan Kay's book /Among
the Truthers/, as well as another letter, are available at

www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/books/review/among-the-truthers.html?ref=review
(mine is second; the first also takes Kay on).

As Richard Gage, Barrie Zwicker and I said on the TV Ontario debate
(www.tvo.org/cfmx/tvoorg/theagenda/index.cfm?page_id=7&bpn=109161&ts=2011-05-13%2020:00:00.0
second tab, 'The Truth is Out There'), Kay judges those of us who are
skeptical of the official 9/11 story by lumping all together, offers a
incredibly stupid psychological explanation the reader is expected to
accept, and ignores evidence. Thus, my reference to a kangaroo court.

-----

To the Editor:

Jacob Heilbrunn, citing Jonathan Kay, calls me and other researchers
trying to understand what happened on 9/11 "cranks" propounding baseless
beliefs and "often reacting to male midlife crises." Given that he does
not consider our detailed evidence relevant, what are we to make of such
accusations?

Kay claims that my research on "the price of individual airline stocks
in the run-up to 9/11" is "arcane." Given the widespread attention to
insider trading in the weeks after 9/11 --- as well as the scholarly
research published in 2006 in The Journal of Business --- the word
"arcane" cannot apply. Nor is my research confined to that subject: "The
Hidden History of 9-11," which I edited, ranges over much more.

Kay's verdict is that of a kangaroo court.

PAUL ZAREMBKA
Buffalo
/The writer is a professor of economics at the State University of New
York, Buffalo.
/

--
=====