[OPE-L:64] RE: Agreement on moving forward?

Michael A. Lebowitz (mlebowit@sfu.ca)
Sun, 17 Sep 1995 21:44:46 -0700

In message Sun, 17 Sep 1995 14:49:30 -0700, glevy@acnet.pratt.edu writes:

> All but two list members have written something in the last six days on
> where to begin. The majority opinion seems to be that we can begin with a
> critical examination of Marx's last plans for _Capital_ (the prefaces and
> postfaces to VI).
>
> If there is anyone who strongly objects to this procedure, please
> articulate your objections to the list so that we can decide and move
> forward.

I'm not strongly objecting but am wondering what plans these are. Aside
from the brief reference to Vols 2-4 (the last being the history of the
theory) in the Preface, there doesn't appear to be much there--- or, am I
missing something?
My own preference is to start (as Jim Devine proposed) with the "big
picture":
(1) Begin with the list of 6 books that Marx projected in 1858 and try to
understand the logic behind this conception.
(2) Consider the evidence as to whether Marx changed or scuttled this
original plan--- and try to understand why.
(3) Consider the plan for CAPITAL.

Having said this, I'm quite happy to accept any proposal.
mike
Michael A. Lebowitz
Economics Department, Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6
Office: (604) 291-4669; Office fax: (604) 291-5944
Home: (604) 255-0382
Lasqueti Island (current location): (604) 333-8810
e-mail: mlebowit@sfu.ca